The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
2002 – Bachelor of Fine Arts, Sculpture and Extended Media; Minor, Art History
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
Instructor of Record: Three Dimensional Concepts
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Peck School of the Arts, Department of Art and Design, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Instructed students in the fundamentals of three-dimensional concepts and design, including working with paper construction, clay maquette, plaster mold making and carving, wood working and found objects; held and moderated class critiques; administered mid-term and final evaluations and entered final grades into the university system.
Instrument Shop Coordinator/Sculpture Technician
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Peck School of the Arts, Department of Art and Design, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
· Management and maintenance of all sculpture studios including wood shop, metal shop, plaster/mold-making
studios, digital studio and foundry;
· Coordinator of student shop safety, tool and equipment training;
· Technical advisor to students in 3D Design and Sculpture courses;
· Studio Fabricator
· Management of Sculpture Area budget
2006 – 2014
Metals Studio Supervisor, Senior Exhibit Artist/Preparator
Phil Fraley Productions, Inc. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
· Design and fabrication of Natural History Museum Exhibitions, including fossil skeleton mounting, models and
· Teaching/training staff in metal craft;
· Management and maintenance of all aspects of metals studio;
· Fossil specimen research;
· Supervision of mounting, construction and articulation of paleontological specimens;
· Metalsmithing and fabrication in steel, stainless steel, aluminum, bronze, copper, nickel and brass;
· Forging and black-smithing, metal finishing and patina work, structural welding, oxygen/acetylene welding, MIG and TIG welding, machining, rigging, sculpting/modeling, faux-painting, fossil preparation and archival conservation, artifact and fossil handling, carpentry, exhibit installation;
· PHP OSHA Safety Officer; Certified lift operator.
Notable Projects and Accomplishments:
· Raffles Museum of Biodiversity, National University of Singapore, Singapore: Fabricated original armatures, contributed in sculpting, molding, casting and faux-painting models of Rafflesia Arnoldii, Amorphophallus Titanum (Corpse Flowers) and Latimeria Chalumnae (Coelacanth).
· Perot Museum of Nature and Science, Dallas, Texas: Managed mounting, and installation of Mammuthus Columbi (Columbian Mammoth) and Edaphosaurus Boanerges (Permian period reptile fossil). Managed the fabrication and collaborated in the installation of Pentanogmius and Pachyrizodus plaque mounts (Late Cretaceous fish fossils). Collaborated in the fabrication, installation, and finishing work to Frenelopsis Ramosissima (40 ft. tall tree model) and the installation of the “Life through Time” exhibit.
· The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, California: Managed the articulation, mount design and fabrication for Triceratops Prorsus. Specimen mounted for the permanent exhibit “Deep Time” in the Dinosaur Hall. Designed, built original mounts, and was critically involved in the installation of Fin Whale in the Otis Booth Pavilion.
· The State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: Managed the mount design, fabrication, and installation of The Marshall's Creek Mastodon (Mamut Americanum). Specimen mounted for permanent display in the Pleistocene Hall.
· The Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Designed and built skeletal mounts, executed fossil preparation for Diplodocus Carnegeii. Managed the articulation, mount design, fabrication, fossil preparation, and installations of Stegosaurus Ungulatus and Corythosaurus Causarius. Specimens mounted for the permanent exhibit “Dinosaurs in Their Time.”
· Tyrannosaurus Samson: Critically involved in the mount design and mounting of the specimen. Designed and fabricated the mount system for the fossilized skull of Samson.
· The Museum of York County, Rock Hill, South Carolina: Fabricated the original armature of the sculpture "Ceolophysis". Collaborated in the fabrication and faux-painting of the base for the sculpture.
2005 – University of Texas, San Antonio, Texas
Instructor of Record, Drawing for Non-Majors
The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas
Instructed undergraduate students in the fundamentals of drawing, including perspective, contour/line drawing, positive/negative space, composition, still-life, and portraiture; developed course lesson plan; held and moderated critiques; administered mid-term and final evaluations and entered final grades to university system.
SELECTED ARTIST EXHIBITIONS AND DISTINCTIONS
2015 Sum Total: Biannual Art and Design Faculty Exhibition, The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee,
Kenilworth Open Studios, The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2009 Art Incendiary: Visiting Artist and Lecturer, The University of West Georgia, Carrolton, Georgia
2005 “Finished: A Master of Fine Arts Exhibition by Joe Johnson" Satellite Space, San Antonio, Texas.
Face First (Group Exhibition), Satellite Space, San Antonio, Texas
Recipient of Honorary Graduate Faculty Scholarship (Competitive): The University of Texas at San Antonio, School of Liberal and Fine Arts
2004 Fire in the Belly: Blue Star Contemporary Arts Center, San Antonio, Texas.
Opus (Group Exhibition), Satellite Space, San Antonio, Texas
(4+2)N23D (Group Exhibition, Satellite Space, San Antonio, Texas
Recipient of Honorary Graduate Faculty Scholarship (Competitive): The University of Texas at San Antonio, School of Liberal and Fine Arts.
2003 Depth of Field (Group Exhibition), Satellite Space, San Antonio, Texas
Annual Graduate Art Exhibition, The University of Texas at San Antonio, Department of Art and Art History Gallery, San Antonio, Texas. Juror: Paula Owen, Director, Southwest School of Art and Craft. Awarded “First Place Graduate Sculpture” and was winner of the “College of Liberal and Fine Arts Graduate Research Conference Competition."
4N23D (Group Exhibition), Satellite Space, San Antonio, Texas
Texas Emerging Artists, Texas State Arts and Crafts Fair, Kerrville, Texas
Recipient of The Honorary Graduate Faculty Scholarship, (Competitive), The University of Texas at San Antonio, School of Liberal and Fine Arts.
2002 Recipient of The Graduate Art Scholarship (competitive), The University of Texas at SanAntonio, School of Liberal
and fine arts.